The Aging and Disability Resource Center of Marinette County was awarded funding to implement a Dementia Care Specialist Program as part of the Dementia-Capable Wisconsin Initiative that was prompted by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, Division of Long Term Care. This program has three goals:
How can the Dementia Care Specialist Help?
- Assist individuals and families living with dementia to continue to be active and remain in their homes for as long as they choose.
- Support the staff within the ADRC and county programs to be better prepared to support individuals with dementia and their family caregivers.
- Be a catalyst to create dementia friendly communities, which includes businesses, employers, local organizations, etc., and raise awareness of the unique needs of people with dementia and their families.
Anyone affected by dementia (at any age) can contact the Dementia Care Specialist. The DCS is here to suppport those that:
- Have dementia or are concerned they may have symptoms.
- Are caring for someone with dementia.
- Are a community member who wants to support individuals with dementia, or are concerned about a friend with symptoms.
- Are a business owner or leader looking to learn more about dementia friendly communities.
Events, Education & Support
- Cognitive Screens
- Connections to Support Groups and Other Prgrams
- Connections to Resources & Services
- Assistance with Care Planning
Events and Education Workshops have been postposted due to COVID-19.
Check back for updates.
Dementia Live! is a high impact, dementia simulation experience that immerses participants into life with dementia, resulting in a deeper understanding of what it's like to live with cognitive impairment and sensory change. To learn more about how your family, business, church or organization can experience the simulation, contact the Aging & Disability Resource Center of Marinette County at 715-732-3850 or 888-442-3267. This is a free training that can be done on site.
To learn more about this program visit ageucate.com
Need a Speaker for your Group or Organization?
Teresa West, Marinette County Dementia Care Specialist, is a locally known speaker on topics like brain health; Alzheimer's and other dementia; warning signs; caregiving; dementia friendly communities, and more. Teresa provides interactive and enjoyable programs to help your group learn about these subjects and the resources available in the community.
You can contact Teresa Clement by calling the ADRC at 715-732-3850 or by e-mailing email@example.com.
The primary goal of Project Lifesaver is to provide timely response to save lives and reduce potential injury for adults and children who wander due to Alzheimer's, Autism, Down Syndrome and other related conditions. Due to a generous donation of Project Lifesaver equipment from the Niagara Police Department and a grant received by Bay Area Search and Rescue, Project Lifesaver is now able to serve all of Marinette County.
The partnerships established by the Menominee County Sheriff's Department, Marinette County Sheriff's Department, and Bay Area Search & Rescue have made this possible!
Project Lifesaver Website: www.projectlifesaver.org
Application: Project Lifesaver Application